Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bourbon bratwurst



Bourbon and sausages, the two giants of good ol' American culinary culture. Both staples in the everyday Americana, so to speak. It only seemed fair they'd crash at one point....and so here they did creating the perfect balance of rich sweetness brightened by a delicate kick of cayenne and smoothed by a touch of amber agave.
I chose to brown the sausages in a pan with a TBS of extra virgin olive oil to create a nice crispy texture on the outside of the meat, and then slow cooked the sausages to maintain the softness inside the casing.
 I diced a half of a large sweet onion and tossed it in a sauce pan with a little olive oil and 3 cloves of minced garlic. I moved them around for about a minute or two, not long enough for them to brown, then added my sausages to the pan as well with 1 cup of bourbon and 2 cups of chicken stock.
I left the heat on MD for about 30 minutes with the lid on. Then I added 2 TBS of Amber Agave and 1 1/2 minced fresh cayenne pepper to contrast the sweetness of the agave and the Bourbon and I cooked the sausages for another 30 minutes.
Then I thinly sliced the remaining half of the onion and sauteed it for a few minutes until tender and golden. I set those aside. I took about two strained scoops of the sauce from the pan and cooked them down with 1tbs of unsalted butter and 1/2 tsp of flour to thicken the juices to a creamy sauce consistency. I plated the sausages, placed the onions on top of them and poured my creamy bourbon sauce, I finished the plate by drizzling a little agave and sprinkling some freshly chopped parsley on top to create a little touch of color to the plate.....and had a few shots with dinner....like I said, whiskey and sausages go very well together :)


No comments:

Post a Comment