Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lighten up your day with the perfect summer salads


TERYAKY CHICKEN SALAD



It's summer, the temperatures are rising and the yearning to fire up the grill is ever so powerful.
This is when we leave behind the hot cozy soups, the over - filling steamed rice for the refreshing taste of salad...but not just any salad. One whose taste will leave you wanting more, a salad that will make you forget about those old teryaki bowls, at least until next winter.
I chose to grill chicken thigh filets,those pieces already come cleaned off the bone which allos the meat to cook faster and skin free, well which just cuts a whole lot of calories I don't want to have during bikini season. To shave off even more calories chose thinly sliced breast pieces, I went with dark meat because it usually stays more moist.
I placed my chicken pieces in a mixin bowl and poured enough teriaky sauce to cover each piece nicely and I added about an inch of freshly grated ginger then  I let them marinate in the refrigerator for about an hour. I fired up the grill a little bit before putting the meat to allow the temperatures to reach a medium.
I placed the chicken on the grill and cooked it for about 30 minutes turning each piece often in order to not burn the teryaki sauce and giving it a bitter taste. Once done I allowed the meat to cool down in order to not wilt the greens of the salad. While that was happening, I prepared my greens, some thinly sliced napa cabbage, some green onions and some ginger/soy snap peas. Those were easy as well, i mixed up some fresly grated ginger, one minced garlic clove and 2 tbs of soy sauce and I coated a couple of hanfulls of snap peas. After mixing well i put all the mixture in a grilling basket and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, just until they were softer but still nice and crispy. I then put themin an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
I cudes a nice avocado and added that to my salad bowl with the sliced chicken filets once cool to touch. For dressing I smimply mixed, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tbs of red wine vinegar, 1 tbs of extravergin olive oil and about atsp of teryaky sauce to make the dressing a little sweater but still very light and refreshing.
to this day this is one of my favourite salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment